How To Prevent Dark Knees and Elbows?
While it is fairly common to have dark elbows and knees in comparison to the rest of your body, the difference in color can be quite bothersome to some people. Dark elbows and knees are not caused by gender, age or ethnicity – they occur naturally but some people feel uncomfortable, especially if they that prefer wearing shorts or dresses that leave their elbows and knees bare.
Is it normal to have dark knees and elbows?
If the skin around your knees and elbows is darker than the rest of your complexion, it is absolutely nothing to worry about. These regions are prone to the highest friction and pressure and darkening of these regions is especially common in people with darker complexions as the joints tend to produce more melanin. Melanin is a naturally occurring pigment in the body that protects the skin against ultraviolet rays.
What is the cause of dark elbows and knees?
There are several reasons why there could be an overproduction of melanin in the body that can explain the hyperpigmentation or darkening of knees and elbows. These can include:
- Constant rubbing or friction of the elbows and knees can cause the skin to become thicker as a protective measure. Since only the skin around elbows and knees tends to thicken, this causes them to appear darker than the rest of the surrounding skin.
- Extensive exposure to direct sunlight can cause an overproduction of melanin which leads to the elbows and knees becoming darker.
- A build-up of dead skin cells or dirt can make the elbows and knees darker than the rest of the body.
- Wounds or injuries can cause the skin around the knees and elbows to become darker.
The reason for darker knees and elbows cannot be pinpointed as the phenomenon might be caused by differing factors in different people. However, there are methods that you can apply to reduce the darkening around your elbows and knees.
How to get rid of dark elbows?
1. Use some Lemon
The natural bleaching properties and acidic nature of lemon can help to reduce the darkening around the elbows and knees. It can brighten the skin tone and consistently trying this remedy can allow your elbows and knees to match the rest of your complexion.
2. Tailor-made creams
There are various creams for dark elbows and knees available in the market. These creams are specifically meant to brighten the skin around the elbows and knees in order to make it lighter.
3. Use aloe vera to moisturize
The darkness around knees and elbows can also be caused by dryness which is why using aloe vera can be effective when trying to reduce the difference in color. There are numerous other moisturizes and body butters also available, such as rose butter cream which can provide moisturization and hydration to the skin, keeping it from darkening.